Board of Directors
Robin Treaster, Acting Chair
Robin Treaster holds a BS-BA, PHR, SHRM-CP, ASQ-CQIA. She is the Director of Member Services at the American Society of Radiologic Technologists. Robin will earn a Master's Degree in Organizational Leadership, (Executive), CSU-Global, November 2020. Robin is Vice-Chair on the ABQ-ALC Board of Directors and Secretary of the Sports Car Club of America. She has many years of experience in coaching, corporate relations, curriculum development, training, sales, and leading large teams. Robin enjoys genealogy, traveling, scuba diving, and spending time with family and friends.
Steve Turpen, Treasurer
Steve Turpen was born and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Steve graduated from West Mesa High School. He has a BSBA in Finance, and a Juris Doctor degree, both from the University of Arizona. He has been very active in fostering youth as well as mentoring various youth groups and has also volunteered at a substance abuse center for three years. Steve has served on ABQ-ALC’s Board as Board Treasurer since 2011. He feels very lucky to have been able to travel as a musician, visiting 21 countries and 45 states.
Karime Andazola, Member
Karime Andazola joined our board in July 2021. Karime is a professional with a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Spanish from The University of New Mexico. She works for Hewlett Packard (HP) and is currently enrolled in the UNM Executive MBA Class of 2023. Karime was forced to leave the country to pursue her permanent residency when she was a junior studying Psychology & Spanish at UNM. Her ability to overcome this adversity has solidified her intent to represent the minority population in the program as a Hispanic woman and in the professional world. Her intent is to educate and arm herself with all the tools and skills to grow and become an even more effective leader in her organization and community.
Nick Estes, Member
Nick Estes has been an active volunteer tutor for ABQ-ALC since 2014. Nick is a retired attorney from Public Practice and UNM’s General Counsel. In 2000, he was awarded the Public Lawyer of the Year Award, in recognition for his dedicated and distinguished service as an attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice, Albuquerque's City Attorney Office, and as University Counsel for the University of New Mexico. Nick is also an active board member of Health Action New Mexico, a founding board member of Explora, and an Adjunct member of Explora’s board of directors.
Carol Kennedy, Member
Carol Kennedy, Member, National University – San Diego, CA M.A., Strategic Communications Cum Laude, Bradley University– Peoria, IL, B.S., Psychology, serves as Director of Development, UNM, College of University Library and Learning Sciences . Carol has served as an executive in philanthropy/ fundraising/development for more than 20 years. She has lived and worked in Portland OR, Chicago, Il, Santa Barbara, CA, San Diego, CA, and now, Albuquerque, NM, previously serving as the Foundation Director for ASRT Foundation.
Martin Padilla, Member
Marty Padilla, a Senior Loan Originator at Waterstone Mortgage, is actively involved in giving back to his community. Marty presently serves as Vice President of the Albuquerque Rotary Del Norte Club. He has served on ABQ-ALC's Board since 2019, actively supporting ABQ-ALC's annual fundraising campaigns.
Ruth Sandoval, Member
Ruth Sandoval, MA BCC, is a board-certified Life Coach, Coach Trainer, Coaching Wisdom, LLC. Ruth offers strengths assessments and tailors training to meet the needs of your staff and organization. Ruth has served on ABQ-ALC's board of directors since October 2020.
Ashley Solano, Member, Student Representative
Ashley Solano is a former ABQ-GED® 2016 graduate! Immediately following her graduation, Ashley enrolled at CNM where she graduated with three associate's degrees and several certificates. Ashley’s goal is to become a Certified Public Accountant. She is presently working toward a bachelor’s degree in accounting at UNM while working for Alliance Data as a customer service representative. In her spare time, Ashley has logged over two years of tutoring experience at CNM and she presently serves as an ABQ-ALC board member representing our student body.
Responsibilities and Principles
- The Board of Directors is legally responsible and accountable for all aspects of nonprofit organization operations. It is expected to ensure that the organization operates for the public good and is publicly accountable.
- The Board is responsible for fiscal oversight, acting as the trustees of the organization on behalf of its funders and the community it serves.
- The Board and its individual members should take care to avoid problems created by Board member mismanagement, non-management, or self-dealing.
- The Board hires, supervises, and evaluates the Executive Director. The Executive Director generally hires, supervises, and evaluates all other staff.
- The Board provides direction for the organization: it sets the vision, agrees on organizational goals, authorizes programs to be operated, and sets policy. It plays a key role in strategic planning and often approves an annual work plan with program objectives. It approves public policy positions if the organization engages in advocacy. Staff is responsible for policy and program implementation. Board members acting as program volunteers work under staff supervision.
- The Board of Directors evaluates the results of agency operations – as well as its own performance. It helps determine whether plans and goals are met. It reviews formal evaluation results and looks broadly at programs individually and together, to see how they contribute to organizational mission and goals.
- Board members play a crucial role in resource development, establishing fundraising goals, and helping to identify, contact, and make visits to potential funders. Our Board policy is that Board Members will assist in getting resources or give of their own.
- The Board of Directors establishes personnel policies and procedures, and serves as the last point of appeal in the grievance process. The staff implements personnel policies.
Board Meeting Minutes